- However, MySpace regards YouTube as a direct competitor.
- News Corp chief operating officer, Peter Chernin, told investors recently that 60-70% of YouTube traffic comes from MySpace. MySpace has reportedly considered cutting links to YouTube.
- While YouTube has been striking a slew of deals with major media partners (snip), News Corporation's Fox division has not yet signed any deal.
- According to internet ratings body HitWise, YouTube has a 47% share of visitors to online video sites, although MySpace Videos, at 22%, is shown to be closing the gap.
- research firm ComScore (snip) said that, in the US in July, Google served 60m streams - or 1% or all video streams - with YouTube serving 649m and MySpace 1.4bn.
- Suranga Chandratillake, founder of US video search firm Blinkx, said: (snip) (Google) have to do a deal similar to the one they were forced into with News Corp for MySpace.